It is windy outside right now and the skies are turning gray again. It hasn't rained for a few days, so today might be a special day. Classes are going well. We are into the third week now at school, but this is the first NORMAL week since we don't have any days off. Lots of exciting things are underway in my classes. I started having my M4 students (the 10th graders) journaling everyday in their notebooks. Some of them love the idea and tell really interesting stories about the days while others spit out robotic reports. I explained today the purpose of journaling and asked them to tell me stories instead of reports. They seemed to get the idea. Once they get the hang of this, I am planning to move them into a field that might be more appealing to them: blogs. I want to do more task-based lessons this semester instead of the typical present and remember type of class. Kids know a lot, but just don't have the opportunity to use their knowledge. I heard yesterday that English professors at a nearby university don't even have students ask questions or write any essays in class. The majority of the grade is in the final exam and also attendance. That is a ludicrous idea. Sometimes I wonder if my kids will retain anything I teach them after this year.
 |
| Playing with a Malaysian three-horned rhinoceros beetle |
That's an awesome beetle!
ReplyDelete