Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The rain has come

It has been raining non-stop for six hours now. Maprang season is very much over. The frogs are out wondering why their homes are being flooded, and Sally the gecko is having the time of her life devouring wasp-like insects that only come out when there is heavy rain. The rain is continuing to knock on my ever leaky tin roof and it doesn't seem to want to stop anytime soon.

My second semester (though it is officially the start of the school year) began a week ago, and I am already inundated with grading. Record keeping has become a real need since I manage twelve different classes, four of which I see twice a week now. I've learned a lot from last semester and am currently in the process of implementing new teaching techniques (well, new to me) including more use of media and also task-based lessons. Since I told the head of our department that one English class a week is basically useless, we are beginning a new program starting with the 10th-12th graders where the foreign teachers will teach the kids twice a week. I feel like I can do a lot more with these classes though I generally have twice as many lesson plans a week. I currently teach the 7th and 9th graders. The 9th graders are new to me, but the 7th graders were my kids last term (they were 6th graders back then).

I am very attached to my 6th (now 7th) graders and they are a lot more comfortable asking questions and answering them too this term, so we are going to have a lot of fun. I also enjoy working on kids who have some behavior issues and who are usually neglected by other teachers. It's these kids that I feel I can contribute most to. A simple acknowledgement of their humanity, their gifts, and their potential to succeed-things that everyone else including their parents seem to belittle-is what they need the most. I already located one boy in my lowest class in 7th grade who I didn't have last term, because he was likely in an even lower class. (Each grade is separated into 10-12 different levels and the foreign teachers only teach the first 8 levels) Helping these kinds of kids is selfishly cathartic as well since I also felt overlooked and belittled when I was younger. They just need a little more attention and a little more encouragement. I know that many factors play into kids who later get into trouble and I'm not the one to say that my singular encouragement will completely alter the path of their lives, but I'm trying my best. I'm the only person trying, I think.

Now back to lesson planning for tomorrow. I don't understand how people can lesson plan for entire semesters, because each lesson plan takes the energy and sometimes daylights out of me with all the preparation that goes into it. I do things mostly week by week and at the furthest, two weeks.

Here's a recent photo of me in Chiang Mai. Don't mind the tongue.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very proud of you, Steven. This is good and valuable work that you're doing.

    ReplyDelete