I have discovered a new favorite fruit, second only to durian. It is the maprang (Bouea macrophylla, marian plum). The season of the maprang has arrived in Thailand, and apparently the best maprangs in Thailand are found around the town of Sri Samrong in Sukhothai Province. Is there anything not awesome about my province? It excites me to discover new fruits that I have never even heard of.
The maprang is sweet inside with a tangy skin. It has a taste unlike anything I have tried before...the best way I can describe it without doing much justice to its deliciousness is by saying that it is a fusion of the best traits of the peach, plum, and mango. The fruit itself is somewhat related to the mango though you can't eat the skin of the mango. I think it looks like a mini mango, but my friends swear that they look like eggs. Cheers to the maprang!

No comments:
Post a Comment