A few weekends ago, I was walking around the Saturday walking street in Phitsanulok and came upon a large square where many people were watching some sort of spectacle with great interest. As I approached the square, I saw older ladies in their upper 50's and in bright identical dresses dancing to very upbeat upcountry Thai music with other random locals.
My friend, Oom, explained to me that this is called "ramwong boran" or "old dancing" although this name probably hints at the age of the event rather than the dancers (though the latter is quite appropriate too). This type of communal dancing is becoming very rare, so I was very lucky to witness it. People can pay 20 baht or so for each dance and pick an old Thai aunty to dance with for any song, though couples can also dance with each other. Dances last for 4-5 minutes. Thai people, both young and old, were enjoying the time here. Dances range from going in a large circle while hopping from one foot to the next or sliding forwards and backwards.
Very interesting and na-sanuk. Plus everyone gets a good workout.

No comments:
Post a Comment