As I lay in my bed to sleep, my mind kept wandering off to
Thailand. Memories from the time I spent there flooded my mind. Even
stronger are the pangs of longing for Thailand that seemed strangely
familiar until I recalled that the last time I felt these pangs was when
I knew I was irrevocably separated from the one I had fallen in love
with. Can it be true that those great novelists of the passed who
claimed to have "fallen in love" with some foreign land actually meant
it? That their falling in love was not a figure of speech but an actual,
tangible attachment on par with what we understand as romantic love?
And then I realized why I had such strong feelings. It has been exactly one year from the day that I left Thailand.
that 365 days constitute a year? Yet a year has passed and my constant longing for this land that seems so far right now has not dissipated. I was in Thailand for a year on a Fulbright ETA grant and a year seemed too short so I stayed six extra months. It was incredibly hard the first three months to be back in America last year but that made sense; my friend studied abroad in Japan for about seven weeks and it took her about seven days to grieve her leaving of that land. I calculated that since I was in Thailand one and a half years, it will take me exactly 78.26 weeks to get over everything. It has been far longer than that and every single day, I think about Bangkok or Sawankhalok or Chiang Mai and when my cerebration of that loss becomes too much, I express it verbally to anyone in my family who may be around me via recollections of food or memories.
I miss the feeling of waking up to a warm morning in Bangkok, early enough for the room to remain cool but late enough for the extreme humidity to start seeping in. I miss the ambrosial taste of Thai tea purchased from a hardworking street vendor after I have walked miles in the heat. I miss the long tube of extremely cold air aka the BTS train that recharges me to continue my journey in the cacophony outside. I miss the feeling of going to class everyday to learn a language that I would use immediately after I stepped back outside. I miss setting my mouth on fire with extra chili in my food and making it worse by downing a gulp of green soda.
I miss the sweat pouring down my face even before
class begins as I prepare the classroom for my lesson. I miss reading my
students' notebooks and realizing how much they've grown already and
honored when they would share deeper things about themselves. I miss
having students come into the office with just the excuse of wanting to
hang out with me. I miss receiving and giving back smiles and wais from
any student in my school. I miss working twelve hour days and still
having an abundance of energy at the end of the day because I was
completely devoted to my students' growths.
These and many more memories flooded my mind
tonight. Why are these memories still so potent even after a year,
seeking once again to debilitate me as I try to piece my life back
together? Thailand has left an indelible mark on my heart and it seems
that even an entire year cannot render these memories and feelings any less vivid.
Thank you God for all of these wonderful experiences and memories





Beautiful piece, Steven! I think there are a handful of other people who know exactly how you feel. :)
ReplyDeleteGina
Thank you Gina. I miss you so much!
DeleteBeautiful and heartfelt love letter to Thailand. I lived there for almost a year in 2008, and I still miss that time. Your description of the everyday life makes me want to go back and live there. Thank you, Steven.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading Ma Mona. What were you doing in Thailand? I'd love to hear more about your experiences. I was just thinking of you the other day when my mom and I were talking about Budd road.
DeleteOh steven. This was was so wonderful. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteMiss you Ms. K :)
Delete